Free 1940s Knitting Pattern: Man's Cycling Jerkin

17:19 Renée 9 Comments

So - you guys know I'm Dutch, right? I don't know how common knowledge this is, but in The Netherlands we cycle. A lot. We are in fact, the number 1 cycling country in the world. Now, I was always aware that cycling was more common in my country than in other countries, but it wasn't until I moved to the UK that I realized how big the difference actually is. I must say, I was quite shocked to see how few people cycle here, and how bad the roads are for cyclists.

It took me an entire year to find the courage to buy a bike and start cycling. In that year, I learned how much cycling is actually a part of me and my culture and I realized how much I loved cycling. So when this 1940s Bestway knitting pattern popped up on eBay, I let out a little scream and I just hád to have it. Aside from my completely biased opinion about the cycling theme, I also thought that this design is pretty unique in general. It's a nice change from all the standard men's sweater patterns and I have personally hardly ever come across any 1940s novelty designs for men.

I'm going to knit this one for myself - despite being for a 37-39 and 40-42" chest I think it should be perfectly doable to replace the DK weight yarn with a sport weight and knit it at circa 26-27 sts per 4"/10 cm for a 34" bust.

To download the PDF pattern click here. Also listed on Ravelry.


“This warm and delightful pullover is knitted with collar, cuffs and Fair Isle cycle design in a contrasting shade - brown and natural were chosen for the original. The neck can be worn open or closed.”
FOR THE 40 TO 42-INCH CHEST SIZE
Measurements:
To suit a 40-42 inch chest ; length, 21½ inches ; sleeve seam, 19 inches (with cuff turned back).

Materials:
Of Patons Moorland Knitting (a thick knitting wool), allow 14 ozs. (400 gr) in brown and 4 ozs. (115 gr) natural ; 1 pair each of No 8 (4 mm) and No 10 (3.25 mm) knitting needles ; a 9-inch zip fastener. (Garment can also be made in 3 ply fingering used double troughout, but allow 2 ozs. less of the main wool.)

Tension:
Over the stocking-stitch, 11 sts. to 2 inches and 7 rows to 1 inch.

THE 37 TO 39-INCH CHEST SIZE
Measurements:
To suit a 37 to 39-inch chest size ; length from shoulder, 19½ inches ; sleeve seam, 19 inches (with cuff turned back).

Materials: 
As given for 40 to 42-inch chest size, but No. 9 (3,75 mm) and No. 11 (3 mm) knitting needles instead of No. 8 and No. 10.

Tension:
6 sts. and 8 rows to 1 inch over the stocking-stitch.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I come from a family of cyclists, and my husband is also an avid rider, although our US cities are much less cycling friendly than Dutch cities. My dad has been in The Netherlands a few times in the last year for work and he loves seeing everyone on their bikes. I'd love to knit this up for myself, but I think I could even convince my husband to wear it also! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A family of cyclists, that's so lovely to hear! I really hope you'll make it, I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  2. wish i could knit, or would knit (i intend to some day - i crochet currently), that jumper is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just start! You'll get there sooner than you think with a little help from youtube and maybe Craftsy :)

      Delete
  3. This is a fabulous pattern, I look forward to seeing yours. My husband enjoys cycling but not vintage clothes sadly else this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the chain-link motif as well. Good consistent theme by the original designer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever get ti finish this Jerkin? How did the yarn replacement go? Best, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. sweater suppliers

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!