Finished: a Weasley Jumper

17:19 Renée 7 Comments


When Katie of the Inside Number 23 podcast announced that she would be hosting a Harry Potter KAL (knit along) I just knew I HAD to make a Weasley Jumper. I realized that it would actually be a very welcome knit since my wardrobe was lacking a nice baggy sweater to wear around the house - I only had one and that one has almost been worn to shreds now.

I've also been wanting a tweed sweater for ages so I decided to place an order with Knit Picks now that they ship to the UK (and free from £25!). I got Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed, which is a worsted weight yarn. The pattern is actually designed for Aran weight so I knit one size bigger to get the right measurements for me.

It was my first time doing intarsia. At the beginning it was a bit of a mess because I was too stubborn (or lazy) to cut the yarn off the ball and wind in onto some bobbins. At one point I was knitting with 5 balls at the same time. But I had to rip it back and restart because I didn't center the R properly so this time I did wind them around some makeshift cardboard bobbins. I definitely learned my lesson for the next time I'm doing intarsia!

For the chart I used the R from this website, but stretched it out a little to make it wider so that it would look more like the R on Ron's sweater in the movie.







Pattern: The Weasley Sweater - by Alison Hansel
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed - Barn Door Heather and Brass Heather
Started: March 12th
Finished: April 14th
Used: Red: 8.5 skeins = 50.3 meters (55.0 yards), 425 grams / Yellow: 0.08 skeins = 92.5 meters (101.2 yards), 4 grams
Mods: None

7 comments:

  1. Oh, die is leuk geworden! Mooie kleur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one lovely and cosy looking jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! What size sweater did you end up knitting and did you find that the pattern called for more yarn than needed? I was also wondering what you thought of the yarn you used, how well does it wash/wear and did you need to adjust your needle size to achieve the correct gauge? Your sweater turned out really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry for the late response but I had to go through my notes to find the answers for you :) I knitted an adult size S, I used less yarn than recommended. The yarn is fine., but just a bit too thin for the gauge given, I would personally go with the city Tweed instead, this is also a bit softer than the wool of the andes yarn. It has held up great though, not a single pill so far and I have worn this jumper a lot! I used 5.5 mm needles in stead of 5mm to get the correct gauge.

      Delete
  4. What do you need to do to change the H into an R?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just drew an R myself, I have a picture on my Ravelry page here, feel free to use it: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/melanostalgia/the-weasley-sweater

      Delete
  5. Hi! I want to do this pullover for my girlfriend but I don't know how I can do that. Can you help me, please? Your pullover is exactly what I need... Can I have your notes? (Sorry for my faults...I'm only student in English ^^')

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to leave a comment or ask any questions - they are very much appreciated!